Planning an event? I've already got your soundtrack!

Planning an event? I've already got your soundtrack!


The RIGHT music for ANY occasion!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

I'm a mobile DJ. What does that mean?


In it's most basic definition, being a mobile DJ means that I bring ALL of my music to YOUR location. Hiring me will sort of be like having a dozen different radio stations at your event, ready to play whatever you want. Or similarly, it will sort of be like having a jukebox with more than 11,000 of the most popular songs in all of the most popular genres - plus several songs you might least be expecting.

I'm not a radio DJ. I'm not a club DJ. If you want beat matching, continuous mixes, scratching, house/dub/trance music, etc. - then go to a club. Or hire a 20-something DJ that does that sort of thing.

Perhaps you've heard it said that a good DJ is going to be good at "reading the room", or knowing what to play and when to play it. That's true. A good DJ will be able to customize a soundtrack that provides for continuous dancing and casual listening with enough insight to choose music that attracts and engages the audience.

These days, anyone can take a picture or shoot a video and post it to Facebook or You Tube, but a photographer or videographer brings skill, experience and an artistic eye to the process.

Also these days, anyone can download a few songs from iTunes, create a playlist, send it through a speaker, and call it a party. But only a DJ with a vast repitoire and background can provide just the right song at just the right moment. A good DJ will already have the songs that you might not have thought of for that little playlist. He will have crafted an ideal soundtrack for your specific event.

So why would you hire a DJ rather than live musicians? I have friends who make their living from being a live musician! Heck, I even am a musician! So why am I doing this? Because I love music - all of it. Stuff from the early 20th century up to today's latest hits. I have a familiarity with all of it, and I bring a representative sample of all of it with me when I DJ an event. A live band might know alot of songs, but how is that defined? 200? 500?

Some guy in his 20s or 30s might have a large music collection, or great mixing skills, but does he have musical training or a sense of history? I'm not merely a purveyor of other people's art. I don't merely throw together a collection of songs that an otherwise disparate group of original artists has created.

Here's what I bring to the equation: The ear of a trained musician. I'm someone who has experience in musical composition, theory, production, arranging, and history. I have experience in both vocal and instrumental performance.

You're not going to merely get the songs from the last 5-10 years at one of my events, nor just the top 5-10 most popular songs from the decades preceding that. You're going to get a comprehensive set of songs from someone who's been listening to all types of music for many years - someone who was actually alive at certain pivotal moments in the chronology of popular music (or who at least has a sense of the historical context of those moments).

The RIGHT music for ANY occasion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice description provide about mobile dj for party.....
Mobile Disco DJ Hire